FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Monday, February 15, 2010

I said I wouldn't do it but...

I actually have a recipe to post that doesn't require me posting a link to someone else's recipe.

This is a soup that I grew up eating that we called Porotos. It was one of the very few things that we liked when my mom cooked. When I got older and wanted to make it for my own kids I tried looking it up online and found versions that were kind of similar but not really the same. I called my mom and she told me how she basically made hers. I found it to be very bland. The next few times I made I kept playing around with the ingredients by adding stuff and playing around with the amounts until everyone was happy with how it tasted. I now make this soup about every 2 weeks because it's a favorite here and besides goldfish crackers it's the ONLY food I know that my super picky toddler will eat. I run it through the food processor so that it's nice and chunky and easy for her to eat.

My almost 12 year old has made this on own (while I supervised of course). So I decided to figure out the amounts I used so that when she's older she can make it for her own kids.





Porotos (Sausage & Bean Soup)

Ingredients

  • EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 1 lb sausage sliced (I used Hillshire Farm Polska Kielbasa)
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tbsp oregano
  • 1 tsp allspice ( I usually end up adding a touch more)
  • 1 packet beef bouillon
  • 1 packet Goya sazon
  • 8 cups of water
  • 2 boxes of frozen butternut squash (I add it frozen and let it defrost in the soup)
  • 2 cans cannellini beans (I use Progresso 19 oz)
  • 1 can red kidney beans (Progresso)
  • cooked pasta (I like to use macaroni or the wheel shaped ones)
Direction

Heat a large pot with EVOO over medium heat. Add onions and sautee for about 3 - 5 minutes. Add sausage and S&P, oregano, allspice, beef bouillon and sazon and cook until sausage is browned. Add water and squash and raise the heat to high. Once the squash has defrosted I add the beans and lower the heat to a medium low and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Check your seasonings and adjust to your tastes. Serve over cooked pasta. (I don't like to cook pasta in my soups because it makes for mushy leftovers) Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment