FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sausage Tortellini Soup

I saw this recipe a few days ago on Running Mama Cooks. Kelly is a fellow Nestie who also likes to blog about simple but yummy foods.

As soon as I saw this recipe I knew that I wanted
to make it. I love soups. I especially love hearty soups that are almost like a stew. This was a HUGE hit in our house and I think it will be making it again very soon and very often.

I ended up using all 6 links that came in my package and used 32 oz of chicken broth. My supermarket had a sale on apple cider this week so they were completely sold out. I used apple juice and it was fine. I also used a larger package of tortellini. I think it was 12 oz. The next time that I make this I will use more chicken broth or maybe vegetable broth.

I can't begin to tell you how AWESOME this soup was. So so good. The next time I go shopping I think I'm going to stock up on tortellini to always have it on hand to make this soup.



Sausage Tortellini Soup
  • 4 links of Italian sausage
  • 4 cloves of pressed garlic
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 3 cups of chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup of apple cider
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, 16 oz
  • 1 can tomato sauce, 8 oz
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 2 medium zucchini, grated
  • 8 - 10 oz pkg cheese tortellini
  • 2 tsp dried parsley
Remove sausage from casings and crumble into a large soup pot. To remove the casings, you can use a sharp knife to cut a slit down one side of the sausage and then peel back the casing.

Brown sausage over medium heat, stirring frequently. I use a potato masher to break up the sausage quicker. Drain fat if necessary. Meanwhile, chop onions and garlic and add to the sausage. Continue cooking until onions are translucent and your sausage is cooked.

Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, juice, water, chicken broth, carrots, oregano, and basil. Cover and simmer for 1/2 hour. Add parsley and zucchini and simmer for another 15 minutes or so.

Add the tortellini and cook until tender, and then serve with grated Asiago or Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment